Moving is a nightmare for anyone, but not with PODS containers. They make relocating your possessions to your new residence easier. You can do the loading and unloading at your own pace while they do the pickup, storage, and delivery.
PODS stands for “Portable On Demand Storage", and was established in 1998 as a portable storage company. The company rents PODS containers to people who want to move their possessions from one place to another. Once you’ve done your packing and loading, PODS will deliver the container with your possessions to your new residence.
Apart from transporting PODS containers, the company also offers storage facilities. You can pack your possessions in the PODS container and have the company keep them in a safe and secure location until you need them back. Whether you’re moving personal or business belongings, PODS has you covered.
The company does local and interstate moving, covering 46 states in the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, and 6 provinces in Canada.
Below, we will discuss the price and fees that PODS charges, the various services they offer, the pros and cons of PODS, as well as how customers like their services.
PODS Price & Fees
The cost of using PODS for moving depends on the following factors:
- The number and size of containers you rent.
- The distance between your current location and your new home or onsite storage, as well as the geographic region, will determine the cost. The further you travel, the more costly it becomes.
- Your time frame and storage requirements will determine the amount you pay. You will pay more if you need the container for a more extended period of time.
- If you are moving during a peak season, you should expect to pay more.
- The cost of storing the container at a safe PODS facility will be higher than keeping it on your property.
- You'll also need to pay for delivery and pick-up fees.
Estimated cost for a two-bedroom moving:
We asked for a quote for a two-bedroom apartment in order to show the estimated cost of moving with PODS. We received a price of $4,154.91 to move a completely furnished two-bedroom apartment the 2,354 miles from Sacramento to Ohio. A 12-foot container would be used.
Here is the breakdown:
- Mileage = $3,450
- One month's rental fee = $189.99
- Delivery and picking up the container = $199.98
- Padlock = $25
- Moving fees = $89.99
- Content protection insurance for a declared value of $50,000 = $199.95
Services Provided by PODS
Here’s a glimpse of the various services provided by PODS:
PODS provides steel-framed, weather-resistant, ramp-free loading containers in three sizes, 6ft, 12ft, and 16ft. You can select the container that best fits the size of your room and the number of your belongings, then schedule a date for moving and decide for how many months you would like to keep the container.
Once you’ve submitted your request, the nearby PODS container will be delivered to your home, contactless, and you can pack and load at your own pace. When done, you can call the company and ask them to send a delivery team to take the container to your new residence or one of their storage sites.
PODS offers temporary storage facilities for people who need them. The company enables you to store your stuff in a container for days until you’ve finished packing, after which they can also take it to a safe and secure PODS storage center.
PODS provides transportation and delivery services for your belongings, but what about your vehicle? The company will refer you to two independent providers, Mr. Car Shipper and Acertus, to help transport your vehicle to your preferred new location.
If the two don’t operate in your area, they recommend a company within their network to assist you.
Relocating to a major metropolitan city comes with its own set of challenges. PODS ensures a smooth transition when moving to Toronto, Canada, Washington, D.C., Denver, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, or Philadelphia.
While taking care of parking and any homeowners association (HOA) requirements, their staff stays with your container throughout the loading and unloading to prevent thefts, tickets, and other problems.
PODS Pros & Cons
Knowing the advantages and disadvantages of using PODS help make a wiser decision. Before you choose PODS for moving, consider the pros and cons:
- Because all arrangements are made online, or over the phone, you won't have to meet your driver in person.
- Both local and long-distance moves can benefit from these services.
- They provide simple and versatile storage options; you can keep the PODS container in their safe facilities or on your driveway.
- You won't have to drive since PODS will do it for you.
- They provide weather-resistant containers with tie-downs and steel locking locks, ensuring the safety of your belongings.
- We provide complete control over the scheduling, from when you want the container delivered to when you want it picked up.
- You must make reservations in advance to guarantee your preferred container delivery and pick-up dates.
- You'll need to have a parking space or driveway available at each location, and in most cases, you'll have to pay for it.
- Because PODS does not include packing, loading, or unloading services, you will have to pay extra.
- Only local moving and storage are possible with the 12 x 8 x 8 ft container.
- PODS' indoor storage facilities do not "strictly meet climate control regulations," which limits the storage of some items.
What Do PODs Reviews Say About Its Customer Service?
PODS reviews were a bit mixed, with each client explaining why they were or were not happy with the company.
Customers who were pleased with the company's service appreciated the following:
- Their friendly staff, from the customer service representatives to the drivers.
- They charged as quoted to the client.
- The delivery schedule was as agreed with the client.
- The condition of the items after delivery was perfect.
However, some customers had negative views about PODS. These are their reasons:
- Although polite, PODS' customer service representatives weren't particularly helpful.
- PODS delivery to new locations is delayed.
- Charging unexpected fees that the company did not disclose to the client in advance.
Here are some real reviews we selected from Trustpilot so that you know what common people actually think about PODS:
Convenient & Charge Reasonably
It exceeded my expectations! From the initial phone call to the pick-up at the end of my cross-country move, PODS was there when they said and charged me exactly what was quoted. I highly recommend PODS for its sheer convenience! And bonus, everyone was so friendly and helpful! The drivers were awesome!
Excellent Local Team
While the shipment delivery was a day late, the team in El Paso did everything they could to ensure I received the shipment the next day.
Terrible Customer Service
I can not begin to tell you the problems with PODS. Anything you can think of, it happened. Nothing on time, nothing as planned, an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE to work with and communicate with, zero - ZERO - customer service. I finally received my "lost POD" with everything I own broken - including the POD itself is broken. Never, never again.
Is PODS Right for Me?
If any of the scenarios below apply to you, PODS can be a good choice for you:
- When you need to relocate a transferred employee locally, interstate, or if your company moves its offices, you might need some PODS containers for relocation.
- When you require assistance with the distribution, storage, and transportation of your commercial goods, PODS can assist you in streamlining supply chain operations.
- Sometimes, you need to keep extra inventory and supplies at a storage facility or on-site close to your shop.
- In the event of a natural or man-made calamity, those who need an emergency storage solution can rent a container.
- If you need to transport your household items to your new home and need temporary storage space, then PODS can satisfy your needs for moving.
If you're wondering "where can I find PODS near me", NearbyMovers is the right solution for your moving request. Simply enter your current address or the zip code, and you'll probably find PODS within a few miles, quickly and easily.
Is PODS a legit company?
Yes, it is a legitimate company owned by the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan.
What are PODS used for?
People who require storage for their belongings while moving to a new location can rent PODS containers. If you need to store your belongings for a while, perhaps while remodeling your home, and need a secure place to keep them, you can also rent a PODS container.
Which is better, PODS or U-haul?
PODS is better since it offers three distinct container sizes, whereas U-Haul only offers one. PODS is also the only storage company that provides insurance for at-home storage. PODS offers more service options, such as onsite storage, than U-Haul.
How big of a PODS container do I need?
The best size for you will depend on how much stuff you need to move. PODS containers come in three sizes. You can contact PODS for more details. Here are the sizes you can choose from:
- Large container—16 foot with dimensions of 16' x 8' x 8'.
- Medium container—12-foot with dimensions of 12' x 8' x 8'.
- Small container—8-foot with dimensions of 8' x 7' x 8'
Is PODS insured for moving?
The company does have a content protection plan. While in PODS' custody, the cover protects your belongings against theft and accidents or when the container is vandalized at the company's storage facilities, on your property, or in transit.
The company also offers a container-only cover, another insurance cover. It solely protects the container from damage. However, there must have been no deliberate or careless act on your part that resulted in the damages.